Thursday, February 5, 2009

the tic

a causal conversation with teenagers today gives you a pretty good idea on which words he/she uses more often than you would consider appropriate in a conversation, which makes you wonder, is this how I was when I was a teenager.

One such teenage cousin of mine, has the banal use of the word 'so'; perhaps he felt it necessary to begin his sentences with 'so' or interject them with a 'so'.

So, you I see I studying this subject.
So, I am from here....
So, I scored pretty well in this exam

perhaps maybe teens feel the use of a 'so' cuts boundaries and barriers between a 30 something (yours truly) and a teen.

come to think of it, you hear some of these young teens speak and there seems to be some sort of a verbal tic that's got a hold of them....,

so...
like...
obviously....
generally....
basically....

could be the teen years or some kind of an infection that makes you mutter the 'tic' every now and then, maybe some kind of reassurance with the constant verbal chant of the 'tic' now and then...

now, I wonder what was mine....and if I sounded this silly with the verbal tic...

No comments: