Tuesday, January 1, 2008

productivity; easier said...

Three fast food counter workers produced more transactions with customers at no extra cost to management by using procedures implemented by behavior analysts.

The three counter workers had previously had been paid on an hourly basis. But that was changed to 13 cents per transaction during the study.

The result: The number of transactions increased by 26%, 21%, and 19% for the three workers, respectively. Corresponding pay increases of 9%, 15%, and 19% resulted. Despite the increased pay, there was no additional cost to the restaurant since the workers were selling more food.

What can be measured can be altered or varied.
What cannot be measured will remain inert till a means is devised to measure it ergo so can be altered or varied.
This presupposes that the system balance is maintained for any alterations or variations imposed. Any imbalance will render a null alteration rather an alteration that cannot be imposed.

Now I am in the process of getting my house painted, and I put the workers on day wages and they took longer than usual to do the job, (this is to my detriment it is costing me more) so I got them on a fixed contract for the entire job now they are working faster but I am sure they are compromising on quality (again to my detriment as shoody quality will get me to repaint probably the next year, invariably its costing me sooner).

I guess this is a one way street, I am bound to crash into oncoming traffic.

No comments: