Monday, January 14, 2008

HD DVD v/v Blu-ray

the DVD battle, frankly I am pretty miffed that I have 2 DVD players and they both don't play the new DVD's.
Well the first one used to play all zones viz; 1,2 and 3 perhaps representing America, Europe and Asia.
Then for some reason discs of zone 1 weren't playing ergo we had to pick up another DVD player. Recently, I happen to borrow a DVD from a friend, and it said Zone 5, and as you guessed, it does not play on the 2nd DVD player.

I have no clue what region Zone 5 services, but I am betting they go all they way to Zone 7, representing all the continents.

I have not seen Zone 4, 6 and 7 but I am wondering what would be the population in Antartica or the Arctic, that would require a whole new zone.

Anyway, I am just sticking to video downloads as I am not finicky about DTS, Digital, 5.1 Surround, Dolby, and all that jazz.

To add to the zone, there have been 2 new formats that have been doing the rounds. I think it is quiet clear now, we are being taken for a ride, the buggers come up with new zones and then they come up with new formats, at this rate I think I would have more players than DVDs.

Come to think of it, I can't see what the DVD fuss is all about, its all going to be digital anyway, if not today....very soon. I mean who has the time and the inclination to look at zones and formats, we just want to watch a movie, mate!

Maybe these folks have forgotten the K.I.S.S adage; Keep It Simple, Stupid.
I think it is a classic situation you focus so much on competition, you forget about the customer. In a sense this is also a repitition of the Betamax v's VHS duel.
By the way, both are dead today.

Either which way, some get bitten by the bug and some just walks away, thankfully there is the net!

No comments: